Stewards can take an active role at investigatory meetings.
- Must be briefed by the supervisor on the subject matter of the interview.
- Must be allowed to have a pre-interview conference with the employee.
- Has the right to speak during the interview.
- May ask for clarification.
- May council the employee.
- May provide supplemental information to the supervisor.
Stewards can also:
- Help an anxious and inarticulate employee explain an incident.
- Raise extenuating circumstances.
- Advise an employee against blanket denials.
- Prevent an employee from making "fatal admissions."
- Help employees remain calm.
- Serve as a witness to the interview proceedings.